On this page:

What you can do

All domestic building projects of three storeys or less and costing more than $16,000 require Domestic Building Insurance (DBI), which provides cover for incomplete or defective building work when a builder becomes insolvent, dies or disappears.

Builders in Victoria are required by law to take out DBI on behalf of building owners. DBI must be in place before a building permit can be issued. Your builder should have provided you with a copy of your DBI Certificate of Insurance before building work commenced.

DBI provides cover up to the amounts set out in the policy. It may also cover the costs of some expenses incurred by the homeowner, such as loss of deposit, legal costs associated with making a claim, accommodation and storage costs.

The Victorian Managed Insurance Authority (VMIA) issues the majority of DBI policies in Victoria.

Page last updated: 18/04/23